Sunday, December 27, 2009

Summing it up!

As I ponder the last eight weeks, I find it hard to believe the wealth of information I consumed in such a short time span. It’s completely amazing how much information there is to be consumed in reference to learning styles and learning theories. Each learning style and theory takes a different direction to approach learning. As I completed the learning theory matrix, I noticed that some of the theories shared some of the same characteristics, yet they were all different in some aspect. None of the theories stood alone. As learners we learn by pulling bits and pieces from each of them.

During the duration of this course, I developed an understanding of my own learning process. I have come to the conclusion that I learn best when the material to be learned is presented in numerous ways. I prefer a minimal amount of reading, and more videos, audio, and multimedia presentations. Additionally, I have a strong need for deadlines to be set, whether mandatory or self made. Without deadlines, I know that I will procrastinate until the very end. Deadlines help me manage my time and complete assignments more effectively.

Throughout the course we learned about learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation. I’ve learned that in order to provide effective instruction in the field of instructional design, all of the theories and learning styles must be incorporated throughout the instruction. In addition to considering the various learning theories and how learners pull something from each of them, I must also strongly consider the various learning styles. Students must be taught through differentiated instruction for true learning to take place. Every learner learns differently and instruction must be approached as such. I feel that when instruction truly touches on each learning theory and considers all learning styles, students will ultimately be motivated to learn. They’ll find means to approach learning in a style that they are comfortable with and enhance those styles they aren’t too comfortable with. True instruction will enhance and challenge each and every learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment