Sunday, December 20, 2009

Learning Theories: Fitting the Pieces Together

Several weeks ago I was asked to discuss how I learned based on learning theories and learning styles. At that time, I thought the behaviorist theory and the cognitive theory described my learning style. After many weeks of taking a deeper look into all of the learning theories, I can now say I really can’t pinpoint a particular learning theory that describes my complete way of learning. Different theories fit different learning situations.

Through the Social Learning Theory I have learned a lot by observing my peers. As an educator, I have learned valuable information that has really helped me be successful in my classroom. Oftentimes as teachers, we learn the likes and dislikes of our students well before they are our students through simple observation and conversations with teachers in the grades below us. Bandura implies that people can learn by observing behaviors of others and the outcome of those behaviors (as cited in Ormrod, 1999).

On the other hand, I have learned valuable information simply from communicating with others. Simply being able to talk with others about different things has opened my eyes to new things – some interesting and some not so interesting. The wonderful world of technology affords me the opportunity to learn socially through searching the web, texting, emailing, blogging, and chatting. There are so many ways to connect on the social level today, that learning is always taking place. Technology is taking the place of books everyday. Information is available at our fingertips from all over the world. We are able to use various means of technology to search, find, and store information with a simple click of a button.

Likewise, I can relate to the Constructivist Theory. This theory implies that learning is based on personal experience, which really explains how I am so far capable of handling online courses. Through our readings and discussions, we have been able to discuss how what we have read and studied relates to our own personal experience. I think this has been very important because it allows me to discuss matters that are not redundant, but relative to me. This has taught me to add meaning to the things I am learning rather than just learning them for the sake of passing the course.

There is so much more to learn about these various learning theories. My assumption is that before it’s all over, I will yet change my mind again about how I learn best.

Reference:

Ormrod, J.E. (1999). Human learning (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment